The TV Ratings from USFL Action on FOX/NBC Sports are in for Week 8. The USFL’s three games on measured Nielsen stations (Fox (2)/USA) averaged 535,000 viewers. A week ago, USFL viewership hit a season-low averaging 441,666 viewers on three broadcasts across cable and network television during Memorial Day weekend.
USFL Week 8 TV Ratings (Via Nielsen Media Research)
- The Friday 6/3 evening telecast on the USA Network between the New Jersey Generals and Pittsburgh Maulers averaged 208,000 viewers. The game was ranked 134th out of 150 Cable telecasts in the 18-49 Adult demo (0.03). The week before, the USFL on USA averaged 228,000 viewers. The 208k viewership on Friday is the league’s lowest viewership output since Week 4 on FS1 (207,000)
- The Saturday 6/4 afternoon game at 3 pm ET on FOX featuring the still unbeaten Birmingham Stallions and the New Orleans Breakers averaged 625,000 viewers.
- The early Sunday afternoon FOX broadcast of the Philadelphia Stars and Michigan Panthers averaged 773,000 viewers. In Week 7, in a similar time slot on FOX, the USFL averaged 830,000 viewers.
- As for viewership numbers for Peacock USFL games like this past Sunday’s airing of the Houston Gamblers and Tampa Bay Bandits. According to their communications department. Nielsen has the ability to measure program-specific content on any streaming service. But they do not have live/linear measurement numbers for the USFL games on Peacock because the network/league has opted not to be included in Nielsen’s syndication National TV Ratings service. Perhaps those numbers can become available in the future.
Through the first eight weeks of the USFL season, 28 of the league’s 32 games have aired on measured broadcast channels. The other four have aired on the Peacock streaming service. Here is the up-to-season average viewership for each network.
- FOX- (11 games): 921k
- NBC-(7 games): 1.18 million
- FS1- (5 games): 285k
- USA- (5 games): 372k
For bookkeeping and context on the USFL viewership numbers throughout this entire season. Here are the USFL TV ratings from the first seven weeks as a reference point. * Figures courtesy of Nielsen Media Research.
USFL Week 1 TV Ratings
- Saturday, Apr. 16: NJ Generals vs. Birmingham Stallions (FOX): 1.757 million viewers, 0.56 rating/(NBC): 1.310 million viewers, 0.42 rating
- Sunday, Apr. 17: Houston Gamblers vs. Michigan Panthers (NBC): 2.153 million viewers, 0.69 rating
- Sunday, Apr. 17: Philadelphia Stars vs. New Orleans Breakers (USA): 771,000 viewers, 0.25 overall rating, 0.11 in the 18-49 adult demo.
- Monday, Apr. 18: Tampa Bay vs. Pittsburgh (FS1): 268,000 viewers, 0.09 overall rating, 00.6 in the 18-49 demo.
USFL Week 2 Ratings
- Friday, Apr. 22: NJ vs. Michigan (USA): 363,000 viewers, 0.12 rating, 0.07 18-49 demo, ranked 72nd out of top 150 cable telecasts.
- Saturday, Apr. 23: Philadelphia vs. Pittsburgh (FOX): 1.056 million viewers, 0.34 rating
- Saturday, Apr. 23: Birmingham vs. Houston (FS1): 402,000 viewers, 0.13 rating (172-minute duration),
- Saturday, Apr. 23: Birmingham vs. Houston (FS2): 88,000 viewers, 0.03 rating (36-minute duration)
- Sunday, Apr. 24: New Orleans vs. Tampa Bay (NBC): 757,000 viewers, 0.24 rating
USFL Week 3 TV Ratings
- Saturday, April 30: Tampa Bay Bandits vs. Houston Gamblers (FOX) averaged 825,000 viewers.
- Saturday, April 30: Birmingham Stallions vs. New Orleans Breakers (FOX) averaged 1.144 million viewers.
- Sunday, May 1st: Michigan Panthers vs. Pittsburgh Maulers (USA) averaged 292,000 viewers.
USFL Week 4 TV Ratings
- Friday, May 6: Philadelphia Stars vs. Michigan Panthers (FS1): averaged 207,000 viewers, 0.07 rating
- Saturday, May 7: Tampa Bay Bandits vs. Birmingham Stallions (FOX): averaged 1.051 million viewers, 0.34 rating
- Sunday, May 8: Houston Gamblers vs. New Orleans Breakers (NBC): averaged 1.159 million viewers, 0.37 rating
USFL Week 5 TV Ratings
- Friday, May 13: Michigan Panthers vs. Tampa Bay Bandits (USA): averaged 250,000 viewers.
- Saturday, May 14: New Jersey Generals vs. New Orleans Breakers (FOX): averaged 724,000 viewers.
- Sunday, May 15: Birmingham Stallions vs. Philadelphia Stars (NBC): averaged 905,000 viewers
- Sunday, May 15: Pittsburgh Maulers vs. Houston Gamblers (FOX): averaged 692,000 viewers
USFL Week 6 TV Ratings
- May 21: Tampa Bay vs. Philadelphia (NBC): 785,000 viewers, 0.25 rating
May 21: Michigan vs. Birmingham (NBC): 1.196 million viewers, 0.38 rating (NBC’s final number for the Michigan-Birmingham USFL game — was down considerably from a Bruins-Capitals NHL playoff game in the same window in 2021 (2.28M*).
- May 22: Pittsburgh vs. New Orleans (FS1): 281,000 viewers, 0.09 rating
May 22: Houston vs. New Jersey (FOX): 665,000 viewers, 0.21 rating
USFL Week 7 TV Ratings
- May 28 – NJ Generals vs Tampa Bay Bandits, USA: 228k, 0.07 rating
- May 28 – New Orleans Breakers vs Michigan Panthers, FS1: 267k, 0.09 rating
- May 29 – Birmingham Stallions vs Pittsburgh Maulers, FOX: 830k, 0.27 rating
USFL Week 9 TV Schedule
The USFL will have all four of their games in Week 9 on network/cable.
Week 9 kicks off on NBC Saturday at 1 pm ET with the New Jersey Generals (7-1) squaring off with the (1-7) Michigan Panthers.
The Birmingham Stallions (8-0) will try to stay undefeated against the 1-6 Houston Gamblers Saturday at 6 pm ET on the USA Network.
Sunday’s slate of USFL games starts on FOX at 4 pm ET. The 5-3 New Orleans Breakers battle for playoff positioning in the Southern division with the 4-4 Tampa Bay Bandits.
The final USFL game in Week 9 will feature the 5-3 Philadelphia Stars against the 1-7 Pittsburgh Maulers. The game will air on FS1 at 7:30 pm ET.