As the USFL’s 2023 season heads into its final week, the suspense is at an all-time high. With the playoff picture still hazy, teams are bringing their A-game in the hopes of securing a spot in the postseason.
The intensity this season is palpable as teams are leaving no stone unturned in pursuit of glory. Let’s delve into each division and their playoff scenarios:
North Division Showdown
- Philadelphia Stars (4-5, 2-3): The Philadelphia Stars can clinch the North Division title with a victory against the Michigan Panthers. However, if they falter, they risk elimination depending on the outcome of the New Jersey Generals vs. Pittsburgh Maulers game.
- New Jersey Generals (3-6, 3-2): The Generals need a win against the Pittsburgh Maulers and a Philadelphia loss to clinch the North Division title. If they lose, they are out of contention.
- Pittsburgh Maulers (3-6, 3-2): The Maulers find themselves in the same situation as the Generals; they need a victory against the Generals and a Philadelphia loss to grab the North Division crown. A defeat eliminates them from contention.
- Michigan Panthers (3-6, 2-3): The Panthers must triumph over Philadelphia to secure a playoff berth. Any other outcome spells the end of their playoff aspirations.
South Division Drama
- Birmingham Stallions (7-2, 3-2): Already secured a spot in the playoffs, Birmingham can secure the South Division title with either a win against Memphis or a New Orleans loss.
- New Orleans Breakers (6-3, 3-2): The Breakers need to win against Houston and hope that Birmingham loses to Memphis to clinch the South Division. They can also secure a playoff spot with just a win, regardless of other outcomes.
- Houston Gamblers (5-4, 2-3): To keep their playoff hopes alive, Houston must beat New Orleans. If they win and Memphis defeats Birmingham, the Breakers, Showboats, and Gamblers will be tied, and tiebreakers will determine who gets the second playoff spot.
- Memphis Showboats (5-4, 2-3): The Showboats’ scenario is identical to Houston’s; they need to beat Birmingham and hope for a New Orleans loss to force tiebreakers.
In case of identical records in the same division, the following steps will break the tie:
- Best won-lost percentage in games played within the division.
- Strength of victory (aggregate won-lost percentage of teams defeated).
- Best net points in all games.
- Best net touchdowns in all games.
- Coin toss.
Mark Your Calendars: USFL Week 10 Games & Playoffs
Week 10 Schedule (Eastern Time):
- Saturday, June 17: Pittsburgh at New Jersey, 1 p.m. (USA); Birmingham at Memphis, 4 p.m. (FOX).
- Sunday, June 18: New Orleans at Houston, 4 p.m. (FS1); Philadelphia at Michigan, 7 p.m. (FOX).
- Saturday, June 24: USFL North Division Championship, Canton, Ohio, 8 p.m. (NBC).
- Sunday, June 25: USFL South Division Championship, Birmingham, Alabama, 7 p.m. (FOX).
USFL Championship Game:
- Saturday, July 1: Division championship winners face off in Canton, Ohio, 8 p.m. (NBC).
With everything on the line, the final week of the USFL 2023 season is shaping up to be an epic finale. Stay tuned as the teams battle it out for supremacy and a spot in the playoffs.